[RC] Run away horses - Spottedracer

Very rarely have I had a horse that 'ran away' - as long as the rider next to me kept ahold of theirs!

Now, the ONE time I had a horse actually run away on a trail - was MANY years ago.  I was with my exhusband (not a real good rider).. We were on the trails in the Smokey's. I was on a TB mare - came off the track about 6 weeks prior. He was on my 3 year old half-arab - whom I'd recently finished training.  I was next to my TB - answering the 'call of nature'.. When something spooked her, just as I was pulling up my pants. Ripped those reins outt've my hands and took off!

Of course the half-arab started to follow, but I hollared at Tony to stop her. (he was still mounted..).... Ended up getting on the young arab. Left exhubby on the trail. And galloped at medium speed after the TB. Figured the racehorse could easily out distance me - but the Arab would out-last her... 3 miles down the trail - I caught up to the TB - who was still trying to gallop - but was VERY winded! Pulled alongside when we hit a wide enough spot and grabbed the reins...

She still had all my tack on, the camping gear tied to the back of the saddle was about half-off.. I had noticed as I had followed her, that there were several areas showing that a horse had ALMOST slid off the mountain trail...

After this incident, that TB NEVER got close to the downhill edge of a trail again... And wasn't prone to galloping in the mountains anymore..

Yep, I was a young and crazy rider a while back! - LP