[RC] Run away horses at and during rides - rides2far

*     How prevalent do you think the problem of run away horses
is during
rides?

*loose* horses, common. Horses running away, not so common.

*     If you lost a horse during a ride, about how long did it
take you to
find the horse?

The only one we've had lost was a horse that was marking trails for our
ride 3 or 4 days before the ride. He dumped his rider and was gone for
several days. His owner took his pasturemate mare up and camped near
where he'd lost him and even with her neighing, he never came in.  During
our endurance rider several days later a crew member spotted the horse
standing outside a cowpasture. He was *extremely* thirsty, though he knew
the area and could have gone back to a stream he'd chosen to stay near
company. He was fully tacked, except his saddle pad had slipped out and
was gone. The saddle had turned but the breast collar had kept it on. He
had bad sores on his withers that caused fistulous withers. The person
who found him was so excited he ponied the horse at an extended trot for
a mile or two to the vet check. Then the horse tried to tie up. :-P

I was at another ride (Liberty Run maybe?) where Lucy Hancock's horse
dumped her on the trail and if I recall correctly he crossed some major
highways and was caught in a subdivision far from camp/trail/horses etc.

I have gotten those little dog tags made with my cell phone number on it
to hang on our horse's halters at rides. Hopefully if they get loose we
can reconnect as soon as possible that way, but I I just put it on the
halter they wear at night. Don't have one on the bridle yet. Guess I
should.

Angie