FW: [RC] Horses & bikes on the trail... what to do??? #2 - Mike Sherrell

Not to belittle the hazards of riding in public at all -- I know they are
very real -- I thought the Brits imported Arabs in the early 1800s as
foundation stock for the thoroughbreds, didn't they? Weren't Arabs ridden in
Poland before that? And of course Arabs surely were ridden in Arabia, in
cities as well as the desert, for centuries, weren't they? Arabs do have a
certain reputation, I know, although some deny it.

Wouldn't you say that a horse could hear a bicycle before you could? I think
they can. One of my more satisfying moments on the trail was at China Camp
one weekend during the latter part of Lance Armstrong's last Tour de France.
The trails were crawling with bikes, so Traveller quickly came to expect to
see or hear them at any time, and one came zooming around a blind corner
just as we came zipping up to it at the gait. Traveller just kept motivatin'
on the outside, but the guy had such a startle that he almost lost it and
went over the side, no such luck.

Regards,

Mike Sherrell

Grizzly Analytical (USA)