Re: [RC] propane toxic--what about stoves? - Sisu West Ranch

"...What about the range cooktop in my camper?  ..."

The same warnings apply to cooking with a flame generating appliance.  In fact most stoves and ovens have warnings that they should not be used for comfort heating.

The good news is that you are awake while cooking.  Also much cooking produces smoke and smells so the cooks often open a window or turn on the exhaust fan.

Personally, I do not like cooking smells so I always turn on the exhaust fan and/or open the roof vent.

Ed

ps.  Propane itself is not toxic.  It is explosive, and can generate carbon monoxide when burning.  My Grandmother was always worried about the toxicity of gas and gas stoves.  In fact, in the early part of the last century a common plot device in bad movies and novels was for someone to commit suicide by putting their head in an unlit gas oven.  The reason for this is that the gas in use in cities, before about WWII, was so called "manufactured gas".  This was made by passing steam through heated coke (made from coal).   It was a mixture of carbon monoxide and hydrogen gas.  The carbon monoxide is extremely poisonous.  The sulfer in the coal made the gas smell.  When natural gas (mostly methane) and bottled gas (mostly propane) first came into use smell was added (methyl mercaptan a stinky sulfer compound) to help prevent gas leaks from going undetected until an explosion.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640