Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] So, what supplements to give a distance horse... - Lisa Douglass

This has been interesting reading on supplements . . .  I've been literally
forced into learning a lot about equine diet and such since my mare was a
total hard keeper, along with not being able to tolerate anything 'chemical'
(vaccines, wormers, etc.).  Without going into a ton of detail, my personal
readings and 'testing' has led me to a very successful free choice
supplementation program.  I've read over and over and over that the horse
knows instinctively what their bodies need.  I personally use ABC products,
which I have found to be extremely effective.  Over the last year, my mare
went from a high energy, very forward horse literally to a nag; barely the
energy to trot, though she ate/drank just fine.  Tests done came back
negative.  During this time, I did try a supplement that I've used before,
and did see a small improvement in her energy level.  Since it was small, we
started the ABC free choice <stress> system, and now after a couple of
months, she is BACK!  In her case, the Vitamin BVC, Vitamin A and the TS-Mix
(trace minerals) are the vitamins/minerals she really goes for.

I have a question . . .  I don't feed/offer any supplements/minerals/mineral
blocks that have molasses in them.  My horses will eat anything with
molasses, I mean, they go after the product like candy, so I'm afraid they
will eat it whether their bodies need it or not.  Thoughts on this?

For those of you who also aren't keen on molasses, another excellent product
I've found that works well for our horses is the EquiLix by SweetPro.

Lisa Douglass
Moss Rock Endurance
www.mossrockendurance.com
(719)439-2472