Re: [RC] [RC] solar chargers - Sisu West Ranch

"...What about a Class A RV? Raven <;]..."

If the manufacturer of the Class A RV manufactured it properly, I suspect that all the major brands are done right, there will be a battery to start and run the engine and road lights, and another set of batteries to run the RV part.

They will already have installed the proper isolation gear to keep the Engine alternator and battery isolated from the RV part. There most likely also is a rather large switch somewhere to completely disconnect the RV battery.

If the unit is relatively new, it may have one of those new power packs that also is a battery maintainer.

In any event, one can and should put a Battery Minder (tm) battery maintainer or equivalent on the RV battery during long storage. It would also not be a bad idea to do the same for the engine battery. Best practice there would be to unhook the battery cables before hooking up the maintainer, but I have gotten away with not doing so.

Bottom line:
1. Read carefully the instruction manual for the RV. It will tell you how it was wired and give hints as to the proper way to charge and maintain.
2. The RV dealer may help. Some are good, but some are not.
3. Just consider that you have two units a truck and a RV that happen to share the same chassis.
4. If the RV has a built in generator, again read the instruction manual. Sometimes switches have to be changed before starting the generator. I have friends who had an older RV. One of them often forgot the change over routine. This caused damage to the tune of $400. The spouse was not happy.
Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875