Re: [RC] Donkey with unusal endema.....??? - Karla Watson

He may have been kicked by a horse. Is he out with horses or a buddy who got too rough with him? They can play incredibly rough. Donkeys are incredibly tough and can show little signs of tramma but will swell up days afterward. I had one that had injury on his stifle and under his belly too and back legs swelled up. It takes quite a lot to show marks on a donkey especially with the winter super thick fur. Their hides are super dense. They are very stoic and often have a very high tolerance for pain so when you palpate them, they may not show you where it hurts. The great thing about donks is that they can sustain injuries and other stuff much better than most horses. They are very tough. They can also eat things that would make most horses sick or colic and be perfectly fine. They have systems we wish our horses had. As many know, I have a donkey that got attacked by a dog that has injuries that would put a horse down forever. The donkey is doing well and is incredibly tough and is expected to make a full recovery. Donkeys are tough, tough tough!! Keep me updated.
------------Karla Watson/donkey rescue NW
----- Original Message -----
From: L gin
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 5:53 AM
Subject: [RC] Donkey with unusal endema.....???

   Heya  maybe someone can give me  some ideas...  11-12 yr old gelded jack.
37" tall.  On turnout  with  no grass. Orchard grass hay . Gets  maybe a
handful of  Seminole Balancer,  a bit of ground flax and BOSS  daily .
Lives with 4 horses . Came with  semi iffy feet. (Probably had laminitis in
past).
     Had swollen sheath- vitals normal. Seemed a  bit  " not quite right" to
  me. Called local country vet, never seen before.  He said , it didn't seem
to be an infedtion,  probably  bumped himself on something  getting up......
(  said  he  wasn't smelly or inything. . So  I paid 70$ .
      Couple days later , you could see his white furry  part of his belly
hanging down from a distance.  I palpatated  him again. Sheath had gone
down, but his belly was swollen  with a demarkation line  a thick feeling
spongie mass about  2-4 inches thick  hanging below his belly. Also seemed
to feel  a ropy section  around his  right side like it might be there too.
3 of his legs are stocked up and can't feel his tendons easily  and knees
are spongy  all around too . The third leg  is a bit less than the others.
Had my husband a fireman first responder  check him out  he said "thats
wierd,  it's outside his ribcage too.
    He is eating  normally  it seems and moving around. Gums are normal
colored, His heartrate is  around 40 something . Temp around 98.6
    Weather  is  in a warm spell, spring like.  No wounds I can feel. This
is a new place.  There are  oak trees and leaves  around,  A few pines, but
trees are fenced so they can't eat bark...

All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC. Get a free 90-day trial!
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000002msn/direct/01/?href="">