Re: [RC] Breeds competing in 2006 - Michael Maul

Angie,

Actually you and I discussed this several years ago and the conclusion was that if your horse was a purebred but unregistered - you should select the proper breed category.

AERC can easily tell the difference between a registered horse and an unregistered one simply because there will be a registration number for one and not for the other. If any studies are done where it's important that the horse be registered - it's easy to exclude the non-registered ones.

I know some would prefer to be purists on this and *only* list a category if the horse was actually registered. I appreciate their point of view but feel that we may have more accurate endurance statistics if we go with the breed rather than require a registration number. Breed awards determined by breed associations will use only the horses with registration numbers.

This isn't an official AERC view though - just mine.

I'm glad you are enjoying the statistics. Some are easy to do and others not.

Mike

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
It looks like very few of us consider our horse's breed to be Grade anymore...

My present horse isn't registered, neither was Kaboot. I listed them as Arab because I *knew* Kaboot was, was told Gunner is and he looks it. I never thought it was very fair to true grade horses when some really nice Arabs listed themselves as Grade just because they hadn't bothered to register them. Am I doing right? Would you rather I called my horse "grade"? I guess I could refer to Gunner as 1/2 Arab, but then I'd have to come up with an imaginary other breed to guess he was crossed with every time someone asked. >g<

By the way, loving all the stats you're putting out  How's about some 100
miler stats. What *riders* did the most 100's? What horses?  I'm betting
the NE has the most 100's per capita.

Angie