re: [RC] conformation-toed in vs. toed out - Brenda K.

Wading in late again, but Deb Bennett said in one of her seminars that a
horse will have freer movement in the elbows if it is slightly toed in, and
therefore likely less inclined to develop girth sores. I've now had three
horses that were toed in. The one horse, gone three years ago to greener
pastures, traveled narrow in the fore, wide in the hind and never
interfered. Her son, now 11 and competing well in endurance and CTR, paddles
slightly on the fore and travels narrow behind, so his back feet run between
his front feet at the trot. He will interfere at times, generally when he's
showing off for other horses and therefore not looking after himself. His
little sister (And I mean little. At a shade under 14 hands, she's six
inches shorter than him.) has the same smooth, ground-eating trot as their
dam and will be competing for the first time in the coming year - if we both
survive her desire to do everything at full tilt.
As for a bit of slope in the back, if that were a problem I'd have to sell
the whole works.
Oh yeah - they're all basically good old CMK.
BTW - don't look for us on AERC. We've only done one AERC ride. The rest
have all been in Alberta and therefore not on AERC's radar.

Cheerio

Brenda Kossowan
Leslieville, AB

PS. For those of you interested in people's occupations, I'm a daily
newspaper reporter three days a week and a freelance writer the other four,
with a bent for the ag beat and a specialty in the hog industry. I fit
riding in when I can, and really enjoy the afternoon shifts that let me play
all morning. Economy here is good. Lotsa bucks around, so have almost enough
money to run up and down the road with my horses.

bkbkbk