RE: [RC] back conformation of an endurance horse - heidi

Backs are THE most important conformational aspect of endurance horses, IMO.  But what you describe sounds like a pretty normal back.  I'd be much more interested in the symmetry of the back and in its length relative to the shoulder and hip.  I'd also be interested in the depth of body.  I've never seen a back "too short"--but I've sure seen plenty that were of good length but stuck between a poor shoulder and a poor hip, and those will give you grief for saddle fit.  There are oodles of backs out there that are too long--and again, whether or not this is a rule-out depends on how much too long, and whether or not there is compensating strength through the loin.

A horse with a good back will be able to round through the back and have self-carriage even when dealing with the weight of a rider.  He will travel "soft" and will be easy on his legs.  A horse with a poor back will not only be uncomfortable to ride, but he will also be uncomfortable himself being ridden, and will transfer the rigidity of his back down through his legs, where the resultant concussion will eventually trash even the best set, if he is campaigned.

Heidi

Hi everyone,

I recently looked at a horse that was level from croup to withers BUT the back was not perfectly level. The back had a slight slope (NOT sway backed) from croup to withers.  The horse is 4 going on 5 and is out of shape.  The legs and feet were quite acceptable as was the bone substance.  What are your thoughts on long term soundness and potential back problems, if any,  for a horse with that type of back conformation?  Would you rule the horse out?

Thanks so much.

Kim

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=