[RC] pigeon fever stiffness hasn't gone away. - vjhogen

In August of this year my 5yr old paint gelding (horse #1) contracted pigeon fever (dry land distemper)  I had our local vet come out and he diagnosed him and had me put him on antibiotics.  I had a second horse come down with it with in a few days.  After my research on line I chose to not give horse #2 antibiotics.  Horse #2 recovered very quickly, no lingering problems.  Horse #1 continued to drain and be lethargic, have abcess's surface and break, lost a lot of weight.  I know there is not a lot that can be done, basically try and manage the infected puss, fly control, warm compresses and so forth.  What I am having a problem with now is horse #2 recovered quickly and had no lingering effects.  Horse #1 is no longer draining, but he is still very stiff, to the point that he can not trot, or walk comfortably.  He lays down the majority of the time.  He has not gained the weight back that was lost. I have spoke to the vet off and on for a month and a half now.  I would like the horse looked at, but he doesn't want the horse brought to his office.  He did come out and looked at him and suggested internal abcess's were "probably" trying to find a way to drain.  So far nothing has swelled or broken open.  He just continues to be very stiff and sore.  I called again yesterday to see if I could get him to see the horse and he wanted to know if the horse was draining.  I explained that no the horse was not swollen, or draining.  He st ated that I could bring him in but there probably wasn't a lot he could do.  So my dilemma is do I take him in again and have the vet look at him, do I wait it out like he wants me to, or haul my horse the 4 hours to an equine vet whom I have never seen or heard anything about.  We unfortunately moved last year and so I don't know a lot about the equine vet.  Has any one else had a horse respond like this, am I just freaking out?  I feel like the vet thinks I am a huge pain in the neck.  We have never done an ultrasound, or really anything other than him just look and say "Yeah it is pigeon fever"  I do know that this can last a long time, but we are going on month 5 of "pigeon fever".  I am not sure I really think that this is a pigeon fever problem.  So before I freak out on the vet and haul my horse thru some pretty ugly roads this time of year, does any one have any experience or recommendations. Thanks