Re: [RC] Pony death, question for vets or others who've experienced same (long probably boring) - Barbara Moulton

The original post or one soon after mentioned ruling
out oleander- that would put the location in the South
I assume.  I lived in FL and lost my first horse to
trichanosis related kidney failure(sp?)The vet
speculated she had been living/grazing over hog
pasture at some point in her 14 years. The first
stable I kept her at had hog pens and my mare was
isolated from the other horses at first- in perhaps an
old hog pen.  The vet said some horses could live long
lives with being a host but if the parasites invade
the liver or kidneys it is only a matter of time.
Cappie- a bright chestnut QH looking mare with a
flaxen mane and tail had a few bouts of "sand colic"
and the third time the culture was taken which
confirmed the diagnosis.  I tried some expensive pills
for about 4 months -diagnosis till death.  She had
also a few strange behavior episodes but was kept out
in a large wooded pasture and when she was acting
funny she just hid in the trees and the other horses
stayed away from her.  The day she died I went out for
bareback ride with friends and she seemed lethargic
after just about a mile I sent one girl galloping back
to call the vet, dismounted and we started walking
back to the boarding stable.  She kept trying to
stretch out in back then fell to her front knees and
rested her face on the dirt road. I pulled and
screamed enough to get her up  The girl and horse who
were still with me went right to the closest house to
call the vet again.  I led her into the yard to wait
and she went down on her face again next to the
driveway.  I couldn't get her up again and gently
pushed her shoulder to lay her down as she was gasping
for breath with her face in the ditch.  I waited for
the vet with her head in my lap.  When her eyes rolled
I slapped her shoulder as hard as I could to try to
get her back.  I hope she was already gone and didn't
feel it.  The vet still took nearly 3 more hours to
arrive. I was 15 then and didn't get another horse my
Joy until I was 40.
Barbara Joy the wonder mustang and Bonnie my shining
redhead- I didn't pick the bloodlines to die for
chestnut stallion precisly because I was afraid of
getting my dream horse red coat color- I went with the
dark bay for a sure shot at a dark foal- God sure has
a sense of humor- Bonnie is so unique she doesn't
remind me of Cap at all- she is all diva.

http://new.mail.yahoo.com