Re: [RC] "Tis the Season - Joe Long

Bruce Weary wrote:
'Tis the season" to count our blessings. Micki Turney just mentioned one I would have never thought of. I'm indescribably thankful I'm not in Folsom Prison....................in 4th grade.
There are so many less fortunate people out there. Yes, many have done it to themselves, but they can get caught up in a downward spiral kind of thinking that "traps" them in their habits and poor outcomes. There are so many opportunities to help others, with no guarantee they will follow through and make good . Hey, there's no guarantee you'll finish a 100 miler, but we try anyway. And we feel better for just having tried. And we tell stories later about the partial miles that we did finish.
Fist fights over generators, complaints over the constant rise and fall of gas prices, who should get how many points for what....................Wayne Dyer tells me that only 5% of the world can take a shower. Kind of puts it all in perspective for me.
I saw a recent study on mental health that showed a remarkably positive effect on people who develop the habit of naming three good things that happened in their day, and give the reasons why they were good things. I have tried it, and it works. Possibly just a re-hash of "count your blessings."
Hey, whatever works. Happy Holidays, all you Long Riders. Dr Q

Amen, and thanks for a wonderful and uplifting post.

I like to reflect that "In the lottery of life, I won big." As most of us on Ridecamp have. How many of us have had the good fortune to be born into a family that was supportive and instilled good values, respect for education, and caring for others? As well as a prosperous and relatively free society? When so many people around the world did not have that good fortune? How often do we stop and reflect on that, and give thanks?

While at the mid-year Board meeting I had the opportunity to visit my parents' grave in Pennsylvania. While there I offered a prayer of thanks for all that they had done for me, for all the opportunities that they gave me.

This is a time of year that inspires many to count our blessings, but you're right that it is something we should do every day all year long. Some say that "He who has the most toys wins," but that is folly. In the end it is the people and creatures who we care for, and who care for us, and what we do that makes this world a better place for others that really counts.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and a Joyous Holiday to all.

--
Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx