RE: [RC] Pony death, question for vets or others who've experienced same - sherman

When Muffin went to UCD, they did mention that ponies sometimes get soothing similar to diabetes that sort of shuts down their systems. What’s perplexing to me is that Muffin was healthy & free of any symptoms of anything for the past 3 years and then died so suddenly. Rabies was considered 3 years ago, but we did confirm with her previous vet that she was vaccinated, and since she lived through it, rabies was ruled out.  Thanks,Kathy

We had a pony who had recurring laminitis and recurring seizures such as you describe here. We ended up euthanizing her at only age 11. She was a beautiful pony, but the risk of her violent seizures was too much.

My vet ran a lot of neurological tests and suspected the symptoms were likely from diabetes and/or cushings. She told me that cushing's symptoms take many forms and it's rare but does happen for it to include seizures.

The other thing we always worry about around here with a horse with neurologic symptoms is rabies. It's happened way too frequently in m part of Kansas.

"The world is what you make of it, friend. If it doesn't fit, you make alterations." Stella, Silverado

Chris