[RC] Blackwater Boogie - E and L

I would just like to say how much I enjoyed the Blackwater Boogie.  We went as a large group of "newbies".  I can't tell you how many people came by just to say hello and welcome us.  Christina, Alice and Chris were helpful in guiding us to the right places for check in and vet in's.  I ride at Coldwater often and saw the work that so many put into setting up this ride.  Christina and Kameron were a constant sight on the trails marking and planning. Christina, the RM, did a great job of negotiating with park officers and with the locale field trial clubs in order to pull this ride off.
At the pre ride meeting the instructions were wonderful.  The only part that concerned me was the response that the crowd had upon hearing that a field trial would be going on during the ride.  The moans and sighs showed a  prejudice against the field trial groups.  Horseman and women that field trial have allot in common with the endurance riders.  Their horses do 25 miles and often further for several days in a row during the season. They value the gaited horses they ride and condition them for the season. They combine their love of riding with dogs, trained and valued as much as the horses they ride. Here in the south many of the venues that endurance races are held on are field trial grounds. Field trial groups, campaign to maintain many state and national forest open to horses.  We need to join forces since we have a common love of the outdoors and horses. Multi use in our publicly owned forests is the only way we can achieve the goal of keeping the trails we have and acquiring more. Next time you see someone using the forest in a different but common way, by hiking, biking, or riding adjust your attitude and welcome them all. I understand that some horses react to a hiker with a tall backpack or a bike coming up on them but the world is getting smaller and we may have to share the trails to keep them open. Sensory training may have to become a part of every horses training. My horse will go down a road with a combine chruning next to her, but a standard poodle with a big hair-do at the ride sent her into outer space and I ended up on my butt in the dirt. You just never know. I will get off my soap box now and repeat what a great time I had at the Blackwater Boogie. Thanks to everyone that helped me and gave a  newbie the chance to try something exciting.