Re: [RC] Made for endurance or no? - Barbara McCrary

It sounds to me that your mare would be just fine, so you could cheerfully ignore the other advice.  Probably the person who criticized your mare simply doesn't know enough about endurance to make a sound judgment.  Go ahead and have fun!

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
From: Equus Wolf
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2006 4:55 PM
Subject: [RC] Made for endurance or no?

A disturbing comment was made to me today when I was talking about endurance "riding" with my apha mare, in which I was told I probably didn't pick a suitable horse for that.  Of course, this person is mainly old school hunt seat (still rides in a forward position) and she and I regularly disagree about certain things that I feel she's stuck in her box and won't come out.  Now except for certain issues, she and I get along great so it's nothing like that.  But as an example, it took me four months of trying to show her why her saddle did not fit her horse well(and this was with her asking me to look at it) for her to even consider that may be an issue.  Of course, she has taken little steps to correct it, but she's still in the "my saddle goes on whatever horse I ride" frame of mind.
Anyway, the comment about not picking a suitable horse just disturbed me.  (Of course, I've had two days in a row that weren't exactly great so may! be I'm overly sensitive)  My mare is 15.1hh and pretty nicely boned.  I have to feel her legs twice to make sure they aren't swollen because hers are so much bigger than my TB mare.  With conditioning, she hasn't gotten bulky in muscle, but rather long and toned.  Her weight still needs to drop a little but it is slowly going with the work, and I don't want to her go too low so as to lose too much at the rides.  I can feel her ribs, but it still takes a little effort.  I bought her from a home that did nothing but trail ride during the two years they had her, and that's probably the majority of what she did before that.  She is turning 8 in March.  When I had her vet checked, I told the vet what I was planning to do and we did major flexion testing, gait observation (how did she carry herself etc), checked HR like normal but also got it to go up, and checked to see how long it took to come back down.  Of course, she was 4month! s out of work but her HR returns were pretty decent.  This horse absolutely *loves* the trails, is as sure-footed as a mountain goat (thank goodness, I really don't like steep hills and we've had to turn around or go around fallen trees where straight up hill was the only way to do it) and after two hours and a half out on the trail (with 1.5hrs of it doing trot hill work- trot up the field 1000ft, then we'd walk around back to the bottom and start over) she was still ready to go.
In training, we have done a lot of LSD on the trails or walking the pastures and good grade hills (not too steep), and also a lot of trot work on trails and hills with intermittent walk work to train the heartrate.  Interspersed as well is arena work.  I have started her over caveletties and crossrails, and she carries herself in a nice off the forehand frame(not quite dressage frame yet, but definitely moving into the bridle very well.  In the past month, I have just starte! d asking her to canter, so only allowing straight lines of up to 10-15 strides, and in the arena only the long sides to work on responding to the correct leg aides (which she caught on very quickly).   In our first hunter pace coming up, I am planning to ride mostly trot, with walk when necessary (for her or trail necessitates), and a few short canters to break the monotony.  In mid March, I was planning to do a LD of 30miles just for the experience, without worrying if we make time or not, just that we are fit to continue.
So without knowing anything else, why would my apha mare not make a suitable horse for endurance?  Or why would she?  I guess it bothered me enough to worry if I'm going to make her get injured.
Anyway, my apologies for whining - that comment just stuck a pin in my bubble.

Jennifer