Re: [RC] hay / group purchasing - Mary Ann Spencer

You are right, Jonni.  Those things need to be considered.  BUT not having any hay is not really a good option.  I have some contact numbers sent to me by some hay growers in GA.  I have not called any yet as don't know how I would haul much as my lowboy is on loan back in TX.   Some say they have 10,000 bales. I don't know how many bates fit on a big rig flat bed or the cost but I travel and have seen LOTS of hay being trucked via 18 wheelers.  Anyone have any info about this???
----- Original Message -----
From: Jonni
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:15 PM
Subject: [RC] hay / group purchasing

I think when some friends looked into doing a "group purchase", that the delivery would be to just one place, and everyone had to go meet there, to unload the hay, on to their truck/trailer. So, consider not only the trucking fee added on to the hay price, but also the fuel to meet at the central location, and then the time / work to load it on to your own rig, and then unload when you get home with it. Might not be saving much money at all. But, for some folks, they are having trouble finding any hay in their area.

I've been buying large round bales this year, and storing inside, and pitch forking off to the horses. No waste this way, and I am seeing the hay as I pull it off the bale, so know the quality has been good. We pick it up with our pickup, and then just roll it off the truck into the barn. Two of us have been able to then flip it up on end to remove the netting, and start unrolling chunks of it to feed.

Jonni NW of Dallas