Re: [RC] EN Article - Lysanne & Cindy - SandyDSA

In a message dated 2/2/2006 8:09:22 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, KimFue@xxxxxxx writes:
When do you have to start training an eventing horse for competition at 4 years old to be capable even at the lowest levels of cross country, jumping, and dressage?
In the past, having ridden, trained and competed numerous breeds in both dressage and working over fences, it is less and less common to see 4 years old being competed, and the ones I do see don't last long. The best riders historically do not have a record of competing and winning on young horses. The very best horses in these disciplines are actually the 9-14 year old crowd, with many not hitting their peak or prime until 12 or so. This is as it should be, and Kim, your email was tremendously timely, since Audrey's young stallion, who is 5 in March, has a slight ping in the soft tissue over the stifle. I spoke to the vet, and she considers it developmental - the best diagnosis, since this means that simply backing off his work load for another 6 months or so will alleviate the problem. When I read your post, it confirmed my thoughts - a 5 year old is JUST BARELY ready for low level dressage exercises, and size also plays a part - this is one hunky colt! He is solid, with tremendous bone, large hips and a broad chest, and at least 15 hands.

The very best horses, regardless of when they were started, do not become the very best because they began heavy competition at 4 or even 5 years old. When asking a horse to do even more, such as 3-6 hours in motion, it is critical that we be SURE that those horses are mature enough to handle it. Sadly, the only way we find out is when the horses "don't last" or "aren't good enough" - when in fact if they had had just another year or so to mature might have had a long and pleasantly successful career. I for one prefer to wait until our horses are 6 to do even a 25 miler in most cases - don't like to ride a teenaged brain anyhow.:)
San