[RC] Winning - Sherman

C'mon guys.....didn't we just learn a lesson recently about looking at the records and trying to figure out "what really happened"? Remember the assumptions made about Fred's riders and owners?? How do you know what is in the minds and hearts of the riders that didn't try one of the harder 100s after not completing? You can't assume that they or their horses weren't prepared, although some of them may not have been. And, when someone says "My horse is not ready (or whatever) for a 100, but one day I'd like to do Tevis." to me that means they know they've got lots of work to do to get ready. No different than stating "My horse isn't ready for a 50, but someday I'd like to do one of the Wild West 50s".

I know many riders that haven't tried Tevis for years, after trying once and having to pull because their horse hit the "rock with their name on it"......nothing to do with being prepared or not. These riders continue to condition their horses and do 50s to stay ready for next time.  "Life"  (health, finances, work, marriages,divorces, abcesses, other lameness and horse health issues) may get in the way, but the mountain keeps calling, not because of status or the buckle, but because of the challenge it represents in life.  Tevis is there waiting for you to come try again. You know if you're willing to do what's necessary, and, with lots of luck and the grace of God,  you can do it.....just ask Julie.

I may never try any other 100, or, maybe I will as family obligations, time, & money allow (sending Tara to Poland shortly $$$). But for now, all the conditioning we do is for Tevis, even if it may take a few years to be able to enter again, or a few attempts to complete it, because you just can't prepare for "the rock with your horses name on it" or an accident on the trail.

Kathy,
who had the most wonderful 63 mile (incomplete Tevis) ride of her life in 2005 and hopes to be able to enter Tevis again this year, along with Tara, whose horse did hit the "rock with her name on it" in 2005.

The numbers show that those that take that approach:

a) have a small chance of "getting the Big Buckle,"
b) don't try any more after that.

Dabney wrote:
> Neither.  They enter these rides for Status.  I've noticed over the
> years mentions in RC posts like: "My horse is not ready (or whatever)
> for a 100, but one day I'd like to do Tevis."
>
> 100 milers (like Angie) have responded, "why not take your horse for
> his first 100 on an easier ride, and then try Tevis?"
>
> I'm betting that for many riders, that advice fell on deaf ears.  I
> guess the mentality is "I may only be able to do it once, so why waste
> time on one that won't even give me the "Big Buckle?"

The numbers show that those that take that approach:

a) have a small chance of "getting the Big Buckle,"
b) don't try any more after that.

I have to agree with Angie on this. There are an awful lot of things
that one has to do to prepare for a 100. A shake now ride before the big
one is a good way to maximize your probability of "getting the Big Buckle."

I think the concept of an easy 100 is absolutely wrong. There is no such
thing as an easy 100, there are easier 100 but there is no easy 100.