Re: [Norton AntiSpam] [RC] Camping vs Endurance Competition! - Truman Prevatt

Back in the 70's and 80's we used to take off with our "house on our backs" for 2 to 3 weeks in the wilderness. This is when once you left the trail head in say the Maroon Bells, Shining Rock or Slickrock Creek you didn't see a soul till you go back to the trail head. I remember spending two weeks in the Flattops and not seeing a single sole - except my wife. I fear those days are long gone. I'm glad I was there when you could get alway. We didn't have, shudder, Blackberrys or cell phones. I had a fairly "responsible" job with 8 guys/gals working for me. I just told them where I was going and if they couldn't handle it - send an Army chopper for me. They managed. It was amazing they could make a decision without "dad" - but they did and they made good ones.

Carrying you supplies for a couple weeks means you have to be very concerned about weight - hell I can get by with two pairs of underwear, two pare of socks and two shirts ;-) . The one luxury I did take was my trusty fly rod and a few flies and a little corn meal. Trout sure taste good after days of 80's era backpacking food. The other luxury was a little Wild Turkey for around the fire at the end of the day.

When I discovered endurance - it wasn't quite the same as taking off but there were similarities - similarities I liked. It was a challenge. It was a sport of like minded people gathered around a campfire after the end of a good day - all days are good you spend with a horse. To me ridecamp was a sort of an escape from the BS of the daily grind. A few people had LQ trailers but not a lot and those people would no more think of running a generator all night than the man in the moon.

That part of the sport has I fear changed - and not for the better. Yet still there are those rides where the RM puts up a big stack of wood and after the ride meeting lights it. People wonder over with their chairs and and the beverage of their choice and sitting around the fire with a million stars shinning in the sky - it all comes back.

Truman

D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson wrote:
I guess if these situations were "just camping" it
would be a whole different story. However, for many
people it is all about having enough rest to complete
a 50 or 100 mile endurance ride!

I liken it to when I was in college and had to study
for finals. I had a noisy neighbor that played his
music LOUD to all hours of the night. I lost sleep and
it did not make me HAPPY! I would have to wear
earplugs, play a piece of equipment that filtered out
white noise, and hope to God that I got the rest I
needed to write a 10-20 page essay for a Poli Sci
final!

So, long story short, endurance competition, to me,
and I may be wrong about this, but I think one would
really need their REST!  Being kind, considerate, and
above all compassionate for one's fellow endurance
campers, seems to be paramount for making everyone's
experience a pleasureable one! JMHO!

D'Arcy

D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson liberty4640@xxxxxxxxx

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life." Wade Boggs, on his induction to the baseball hall of fame.