Re: [RC] Solar generators are silent! - Sisu West Ranch

They certainly are one good silent way to keep batteries charged.  I have gone another route.
I installed 3 group 27 deep cycle batteries.  I replaced all of the cheap incandescent lights in the LQ with fluorescent or LED lights.  LED conversion lights (just the lights, you do not have to replace the fixtures) are available on the web.  I properly maintain the batteries.  (charge on the road, and keep a battery maintainer, which is a very special battery charger, attached at home).

With this setup I can run lights for a week and a furnace for 3 cold MN days.  For those times when I need more power I have a Honda 2000E.  They are spendy, but very quiet.  If I run it DURING THE DAY I believe nobody is bothered.  I normally use it to run the microwave, and a hair dryer.  The hair dryer is mostly used to dry feet for the installation of pour-in pads.  Even on a fall 5 day ride, it is run a max of one hour a day and only DURING THE DAY.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875