[RC] GVWR - Dawn Simas

Susan,

Jonni's post explained well.  Just thought I'd clarify for you personally:  Your truck, and only your truck (not including your trailer), should not weigh more than 8600# per the manufacturer.  They recommend this to protect themselves from liability, it is what the suspension/tranny/brakes/etc can handle well.  That does not mean you can put a camper on it that weighs 8600#, it means that the truck and all it is carrying should not weigh more than 8600#.

For instance, my truck has an 8500# GVWR.  My truck weighs 6900# (Cummins engine is heavy), which is the Curb Weight empty.  Add two people, my Rottweiler, my popup camper with water in it, a full tank of diesel fuel, and the tongue weight of my two horse trailer and I'm just over the weight rating easily (8850#).  Many people are not aware... and have heavy full size campers and would exceed it by thousands...

To know the answer to your question on the what you can pull:  Go to the manual and look up your GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating).  It varies depending on your tranny.  For instance mine is 12,500#.  Since the truck is at 8850# curb weight, that means I can safely pull 3650# (fully loaded trailer) per the manufacturer's recommendation.  That's why I always had a Brenderup.

:)  Dawn

Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue