Re: [RC] Cold and propane - Sisu West Ranch

I've posted this before, but apparently it bears repeating:
There are three kinds of propane heat.

1. Portable that has a flame.  This produces carbondioxide and carbon monoxide.  It should never be used in an enclosed space without a lot of open vent area and never when sleeping.  These will easily produce carbonmonxide poisoning, which puts you in hospital or worse.

2. Portable or built in and is catalytic.  These are supposed to be unable to produce carbon monoxide.  They do use up oxygen.  You have to leave windows open.  General recommendation is not to use when asleep.  I would never sleep with one on.  Infact, I removed the one in my LQ and gave it away.

3. Outside air, propane furnace.  These are the ones that LQ manufacturers put in.  They do require some 12v to run.  The fire is actually outside the LQ.  When heat is called for, the blower turns on.  A safety switch checks that it is actually pulling air through the fire box.  When it has run for a certain time, so that if propane has leaked into the fire box and could cause an explosion has been removed, a spark ignites the propane.  More safety switches shut it off if no fire, or the outlet is plugged.

There used to be ones that used no electricity, but they could not blow any fumes from the fire box.  They are no longer on the market.  Too bad.

By using comforters, sleeping bags, or a combination of both it is possible to sleep at any temperature.  You just have to get the right stuff.  Arctic and antarctic expeditions have slept during the coldest nights on our planet without heat.  If you want really good sleeping bags, consider www.wiggys.com.  We have some we have used for MT winter tent camping.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875