RE: [RC] Tipping - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sky Ranch
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 10:46 AM
To: Tom Sites; ridecamp
Subject: Re: [RC] Tipping

Tom said:

<When service is done well anybody likes to get a tip.  Sometimes it just makes their day and they remember you better the next day.>

FWIW, I usually try to tip well, and always express my appreciation, especially at the places where I’m a regular, and people really do remember it.  I always get outstanding service, lots of little freebie extras (something special with our dinner, a 10-minute neck massage while I’m getting my nails done, that sort of thing) and at the very least, a few extra bucks out of my pocket means less to me than it does to someone just barely getting by.  Call it Karma Points. J  The funny thing is, I probably get twice the tip value handed back to me in the form of freebies than I would had I just paid ‘list price’ for services and not tipped a little extra   An extra buck or three may seem lavish as just a tip, but if you asked people would they pay a little extra to get premium service, they’d usually say yes.

Anyway, my beloved shoer is getting a gift card for a nice steak dinner for himself and his wife, and it’ll be money very well spent.  I know darn well my horses will always go to a ride well balanced and no loose nails, and that ‘Outback insurance policy’ is cheap at twice the price.

Anyway, JMO.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM