Re: [RC] [RC] If you don't have hills to work with.... - Dawn Carrie

Chelsea,
Don't underestimate the conditioning value of walking, yes, walking up steep hills!  And if you can mix in some slow trotting in the less rocky sections, so much the better.  You don't have to trot up and down hills for miles to get the benefit of hill work.  And your regular conditioning, which you say includes going through washes, etc., will provide good conditioning for handling uneven terrain.  If you do attend a ride that has long extended hills that your horse can trot up, just remember that you have *not* been able to train for that, and don't listen to your horse when he tells you, "Yeah, I can trot for 4 miles up this longsteep grade!" every time you come to such a section of trail.  Give your horse some walking breaks on the long hills, so that you don't overuse muscles that you may not have been able to fully condition.

Dawn in flat East Texas, whose horses do hilly rides just fine