[RC] Colicky mare - Cindy Rodd

HI, I am about to call the vet to put my poor old mare down, and thought, 'wait, one last effort. I will pose a question on ridecamp, and maybe someone will have some amazing miracle cure.'
Here goes. 26 year old saddlebred mare, had colic surgery 5 years ago, has been colicking on a fairly regular basis for several months now. Although the interims are getting shorter and shorter. I use the term colic loosely...she goes down, is uncomfortable. My vet has been out so many times that he told me the next phone call had to be to put her down. She is surviving on..alfalfa and timothy...and her grain is xtn mixed with beetpulp, bran, and lots of water and ALOT of mineral oil.
When she goes down, I start with 10 ccs of banamine. If within 45 minutes she is not up and back to normal, I do another 10 ccs of banamine, then, she usually snaps out of it.
My guess is that her intestine where the deal bowel was removed is thickening up with scar tissue, and the opening in her intestine is getting smaller and smaller.
Can anyone else think of anything else I could do to keep her comfortable, and alive?
When she bounces back she's completely happy, bopping around, eating, perfect. Weird.
Am I being cruel NOT putting her down? I feel like she really enjoys her life and her friends.
If anyone has any ideas at all, I am extremely open minded.
Thanks,
Cindy

WIN up to $10,000 in cash or prizes ? enter the Microsoft Office Live Sweepstakes http://clk..atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0050001581mrt/direct/01/