Re: [RC] Horse size...what gives? - Truman Prevatt

This is where it gets down to the build of the rider and preference. I am not comfortable on a 55 gallon oil drum on legs. I'm not built for child birth :-) and am just plain uncomfortable on such a horse. The torque my knees and hips and make me quite uncomfortable. I'm sure I could not ride one a 100 miles - maybe not even 50. Give me a more slab sided horse with a deep chest any day (which usually translates to taller) and I am quite comfortable (and could ride for days on end) and the horse is a lot more comfortable because I ride better on such a horse.

So when you are talking about short/tall horses there is more to it than the horse. It's how the rider and horse fit together that counts.

Truman

Kristi Schaaf wrote:
I don't get it either Natalie. I'm 6'0 and for a
decade I rode NATRC and AERC on a 14'2 (on his tip
toes) Arab. It's all about the barrel size for me so I
have a place for my leg. I much much much prefer a
short horse with a big rib cage than any sort of tall
horse. But the ribbing (no pun intended!) I took for
being a tall person riding a small horse sometimes
felt endless ("so, you gonna push with your feet when
he gets tired", "heck, you should never fall off since
you can hook your feet under his belly", etc etc). And
I swear to gawd, I don't know if I've ever seen  women
under 5'4 riding anything other than 15'2+ horses.
What's up with that? My current riding horse is 15'0
(and built 'solid') and I hope that he's done growing.

Kristi

Life's a journey, so enjoy the ride (and try not to fall off)

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life." Wade Boggs, on his induction to the baseball hall of fame.