[RC] Vet Question-Biotin recommendation - Nancy

OK, I'll jump in on this one.  Our elderly Quarter Horse, Sierra (26 years
old, Doc Bar granddaughter) has thin walled, small front hooves.  She had
one quarter crack after another until I started giving her 50 mg of Biotin a
day.  After a year of 50 mgs I lowered the dose to 35 mgs.  She popped a
crack in two weeks. Dani's horse, Lyric is currently on 50 mg for a crushed
heel and newly barefoot (please don't start that thread).  I will lower
Lyric's dosage once her heel is grown out and her hooves are stable.
I think some horses just need more Biotin than others.  Could be due to
genetics, environmental, feed, trimming, whatever.  I figure if your horse
needs it, they need it. Us humans are no different; some need more meds than
others.
The one caveat is does this substance cause side effects at the higher dose?
If so are the benefits worth the risk of the side effects? The one is good,
two must be better train of thought is not appropriate when discussing
drugs.  Hope my two rat study helps!
Nancy Reed
Lazy J Ranch
 in loving memory of Jerry Gradisher, 1961-2006
Elfin Forest, CA
PS I am home and not at the Sunland ride as Dani has the respiratory flu and
is going through a box of klneex a day.  The wind is back and starting to
blow with gusts to about 20 to 30 mph.  The air is filled with Santa Ana
ions and everything shocks you when you touch it.  The horses are weary and
watching for the next flying limb to come at them.  Guess I will not be
riding in this as it is always a spook fest....sigh.

From: "Dawn Carrie" <rdcarrie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   [RC] Vet Question-Biotin recommendation

I seem to remember Susan Garlinghouse saying that horses will simply pee out
any more than 20-25 mg of biotin per day.  She recommended Paragon Biotin
Plus as having the most biotin for your buck.  That's what we use.  One
scoop has 50 mg, so we give 1/2 scoop per day.  It used to contain yucca,
but no longer does...so no need to discontinue it a few days before a ride.

Dawn Carrie