Re: [RC] [RC] - jpascu - Tim & Carla Brady

I think part of my issue is pushing my heels down too much like you mention for many years, and maybe riding in shoes/boots that might have been too restricting and maybe lacing them too tightly.  Unfortunately, as time went by, I didn't realize this could happen, so I didn't  address it until I had the pain.  :-(   I ride in the EZ ride stirrups and am able to stay very relaxed on the horse I'm riding now--he's an easy ride.  But, I know this develops over many years, and I did ride a horse previously that was more difficult to ride and harder on my body and I probably rode in more restricting footwear too.  I guess I've been lucky up to this point because I've have not experienced much pain while riding previously in my back, knees, hips, etc.

My question is this:  You write "no cushioning in the shoe".  Is that a softer foot bed, or a firmer less flexible foot bed needed in the shoe/boot ?  Most are saying a firmer less flexible foot bed in the shoe or boot is desirable.  I'm also told orthotics work for many.  I'm going to start with new riding footwear and go from there.  Also, I know I need to see a professional.  I have a really good chiropracter--should I address this with him or go straight to a podiatrist?

Thanks to all for the input!

Carla

Carla;

"To stop the problem you'll need to address the cause. The cause comes in two
flavors: your posture (tight legs, pronating or supinating foot, low back
issues...), and how you ride what you ride on (stirrups that are too small and
unforgiving, shoes that are too tight, not cushioning in the shoe, dropping
your heels for a long time by pushing them down...).

hope this helped
jim"

--
Jim Pascucci