Re: [RC] unable to shoe - Lysane Cree

If you still want to keep him barefoot, and boots are not an option, you may want to consider Hoof Armor (hoofarmor.com).
For the rubs with the gaiters, I have had a rub from the boot not being on perfectly and then not being able to close the gaiter quite as tightly as usual. Also if the boot is on right, but the gaiter is not velcroed tight, it can rub. Some people will also vet wrap the pastern (under the gaiter) as a precaution.

Lysane

sherman <sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I had planned on keeping Sonny barefoot since he was eight when I started him & hadn?t had shoes ever before. I finally shod him for our first ride about 5 weeks ago because he got rub sores from the gaiters of the easyboot epics. My farrier is very patient and spent quite a while getting the nails in, especially the rears, but we got it done. Sonny seemed to dislike the nail being driven in. Recently he lost a shoe in front and the farrier came out to replace it today. Sonny would not stand for the nailing. He?ll let me hammer on his hooves, place a shoe on it & hammer as much as I like, but as soon as the nail starts going in he very strongly resists.

Has anyone ever had a horse like this. He doesn?t have any problem with having his feet handled, lifts whichever leg I want when I stand by it and tell him ?up?, deals with trimming, booting, and really is a cooperative horse, just doesn?t seem to be able to handle the nailing. I had hoped to keep him barefoot & ride in the boots, and I?m only concerned because of having had rubs before that kept me from using the boots for awhile, and the boots won?t stay on without the gaiters. I don?t know of any way I can desensitize him to nailing.

Any ideas?

Kathy