RE: [RC] [RC] Keeping your pant legs from riding up on while on your horse - Ranelle Rubin

Chelsea,

I believe in being comfortable!!

I used to ride in Ariat Terrains, and still will for winter training rides. I have gone to a good quality (the New Balance ones fit my foot well) trail running shoe for rides though. I buy them 1/2 size bigger so I can wear padded trail running socks. If find them easier to run downhill in, and with better tread. I bought my last pair at Sport Chalet which is a discount sporting goods store for $50. on sale.

I wear half-chaps that are synthetic and cooler and lighter than leather. They are made by Tuff Rider and not expensive. I think I paid $35. for the last pair. They have lasted two years and thousands of miles. I recently bought a spair pair in case I ride in the rain, and need a dry pair, but have yet to open them.

I ride in Carosel Supplex tights with padded knees and seat. They have a bit of elastic on the inside and don't ride up at all. I don't personally like the grippiness of the suede or ultra-suede knee patches. It seems to make the inside of my knees raw. I use Body Glide for long rides (50's) on the inside of my knees. No rubs at all! I also bought myself a pair of Tough Rider Winter tights that are fleese on the inside and smooth on the outside..haven't worn them yet, so no report.

On the top, for winter, I prefer a couple light layers: a polypropylene long sleeve (a light weight long underwear type shirt-I like the zip up kind for temp control) a lightweight shirt-the sunshirt that I wear in summer, with a waterproof light windbreaker over that. I can ride in just about the coldest ride I would want to ride in this combo and take off what I don't need as I warm up. One thing I find helpful is that the outer layer is a zip up rather than a pullover. You want to be able to get it off while on your horse without taking off your helmet!

I shop the athletic dept at a discount store like Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx for the top items mostly. Just be sure you have figured out how to carry anything you are planning to take off. I use the center section of my snugpax water bottle holder as I don't want anything hard bouncing on my horse back there anyway, so it is empty when I leave.

Hope this helps!

Ranelle Rubin Coaching and Consulting Services The Coaching Center Distributor Dynamite Products Freeform Referral Source (meet me at the trail and try one!) ranelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx raneller@xxxxxxx

916-663-4140 home office
916-718-2427 cellular
916-848-3662 fax