[RC] [RC] pads on back feet - sherman

Personally, I would be very cautious of any horse that needed pads on any hooves under normal circumstances because it could be to mask a problem such as very thin soles which can eventually cause the horse to be unrideable. My neighbors have a very well bred, well trained, reining QH, that is just barely able to go out for a walking trail ride due to thin soles, needs pads always and is still sore even on soft dirt, sand, etc. If the TWH “needs” pads, he may not be sound enough to go barefoot. Be sure to get a vet check & I think they do radiographs to check the thickness of the sole. JMO.

Kathy

Ok, I have a question.  I am looking at a TWH to purchase and I was informed by the lady selling him (not the Owner) that the owner when she was using him kept him shod with pads in the rear feet only.  Supposedly this was to prevent stone bruises?!?  A lot of horses I know are only shod in the front and if they are padded only in the front.  He will be going barefoot if I buy him, but I'm wondering if there are reasons for this that I am not aware of.  I have never owned a TWH, I do have a TW/QH cross who is not gaited.  I'm wondering if this has something to with a gaited horse.  I would appreciate any and all opinions.  My hopes are for this boy to get me started on LD this year.

Thanks,

Jen M.