[RC] Question on nervous horse vs other issue? - J. Reynolds

Last summer I rode a lot of training miles on my old mare.   She conditioned up nicely and got over many trail issues (water crossings, deer, turkey, wind blowing, wind not blowing, heat & humidity, riding out alone, riding behind, you catch my drift).  When riding our normal trail she was poop normal consistency, but when ever we hauled out or went to an unfamiliar area she would poop almost non stop and it would turn to "cow pattie" consistency and be all over her hocks and lower legs by the time we were ready to load up for home.   This only occurred when she was in an unfamiliar setting.

Does this sound like a case of nerves?   Would you expect that over time she would get over it as she learns to relax in strange places?   It concerned me as she is not a great drinker and is bound to be losing extra fluids through this process, and horse poo all over the hocks isn't great either.   She is a very loving, trying horse, but nervous and high strung.

Any ideas on getting her over it?