Re: [RC] Bad gut sounds? - Truman Prevatt

David LeBlanc wrote:

Something else that I pay attention to, especially since gut sounds come and
go, is how the horse is doing. Is he eating right? Does he seem alert or
dull? I've seen gut sound vet scores all over the place, and most of the
time there's no problem.

Gut sounds are subjective and vary with horse, time of day, how long you've been on the trail and many other factors. This is one area I think the key is to "know you own horse." Many of us see the same vets since we normally ride in our own regions for the most part. Our vets get to know our horses and because of that they can pick up on brewing problems. However, if you go to a new ride you don't have that.

What is an B to one vet may be an A to the other, etc. I went through a ride one time with vets I'd never seen prior. The gut sounds were fine - B. With our normal SE vets he is always a B so I didn't worry. He coliced after the ride still with B guts but when I listened to them - they were not normal.

I learned the lesson the hard way - if you don't know the vets and they don't know your horse always listen to your horses gut sounds and make the judgement youself. To do that you need to routinely listen to his guts, both coming into the check and at the end of the check to know what is normal. IMO gut sounds is one area where we need to depend more on ourselves than the vets. We should know our own horses and know when something is brewing. If I had been more attentive I would not have put my horse at risk and I would not have been out 600 bucks for the stay in the vet clinic.

Truman