Re: [RC] [RC] Bad gut sounds? - Dawn Carrie

Bad guts sounds are too little (too quiet).  Or too much.  How's that for confusing?  That's why you need to spend time popping a stethoscope on your horse at home, after a conditioning ride, whatever, so that you learn what's normal for your horse.  Some horses are naturally noisier than others.

A horse that may be starting to head toward metabolic trouble may have little noise (gut sounds).  This could signal the start of a colic or some other problem.  He may be dehydrated, elyte deficient, or too hot.  Or, it could simply be that he needs to eat and get something moving through his system.  Or to slow down if you're riding fast.  If the vet is overly concerned about the lack of gut sounds, he may hold your vet card and require you to return for a second check before being allowed to go out on the next loop.

Too many sounds could indicate an impending problem as well.  For example, a horse with gas will often have lots of really loud gut sounds, which to me seem to often have a sharper sounds.

Hope this helps...
Dawn