[RC] set plan - training - Spottedracer

Wow Ranelle! that's an intense program! ... sigh... if I just had the time....

Initially, I had a similar training Regime to Ranelle's. But after I started
talking with Vets, multi-day riders, and reading EVERY one of those interviews
that the AERC site has (a bunch of riders who'v completed 30+ 1-day hundreds)..
I changed my strategy... Here's what how I train - ALL THREE of my endurance
mounts..

Each one is trained twice a week - once on the weekend - once during midweek..
Gives plenty of recovery time... During the muddy winter months - I end up
doing the 'warm up' on the hilly country road. Go 3-4 miles at a nice steady
medium gait. Then I come to the arena (footed with block run - nice solid
footing - NEVER gets muddy. And is abrasive enough to keep their hooves worn
PERFECTLY and toughened!) In the arena - I do 'timed gallops' .. Depending on
which horse - I do from 5-20 min solid at a gallop/canter (1 mile to 5 miles in
actually length).. Then they get a breather for 5-10min - we gait around
barrels, back up, etc.. Once they've caught their breath - we change direction
and gallop for the same length of time the opposite direction.... Then they get
another breather - and afterward I do the gymnastic set of low srosspoles 5X
successfully (sometimes they do it in five attempts, sometimes 10 attempts
**grin**) Then we cool down with bending, slow suppling exersizes..... This
arena work is WONDERFUL for making them stronger,collected, more balanced, more
responsive, more supple and increases their wind.
**When we get breaks in the weather and/or the farm trails are safe - I'll take
each horse out on a SEVERE-GRADE trail (the type that makes EVERY saddle slip
w/out a breastcollar and/or Crouper. These half-mile hills are actually too
severe grade to even drive our 4X4 on!.. Talk about a 'reining horse' slide all
the way down!!) Each horse does a 6-10 mile trail ride about once a week or so.
About every 4-5 weeks - I'll haul to either Natchez trace or Edwin Warner - and
do a 16-28 mile training ride - within AERC required time limits.. Including
rest stops/holds - where I perform standard 'vet check' and feed/water. On
these longer rides - I'm generally riding one - leading the other. Works two
horses at once!
- Laura P
F'^q©©?Ƭz»âqêwn­©Üx×­?Ûiÿü0Áéݺ¶§qéÞ´?ߢ¹?¶*'>?bs
â±ÉZ?g«?Ûiÿü0Áéݺ¶§qéÞ·ôbuç??®nÇ+?·¿R{.nÇ+?·¡¶Úÿ
0zwn­©Üzw­þ¸?yƦ§ùh??Ú²?buâè?§u?y&?