Re: [RC] [RC] heaters for water tanks?? - Sisu West Ranch

"...We cannot plug our fridge into a GFCI plug as it will trip it within 5 minutes..."

In this case the GFCI is trying to tell you that there is a minute electrical leakage in the Fridge.  Not enough to feel (Especially since you do not open the Fridge while standing in a pool of grounded water), and not enough to trip a breaker (that would require 15 to 20 amps).  Now as long as this does not get worse there is no problem, but what happens if:

1. A sink in the kitchen overflows.
2. The ground connection for the fridge frays off from the cat playing with it.
3. The problem in the internal workings gets worse.
and  4. your toddler walks into the kitchen barefoot to get some juice from the fridge.

Sound farfetched?   It is, but things like this happen every day.

Now to get back to your horse.  The most likely mode of failure of a tank heater is for a very  slight electrical leak to develop between the heater wires and the metal covering of the heater.  You stated that you are using a plastic tank.  Now the water is charged with electricity.  The horse goes to take a drink.  Since the leak is small, the fuse does not blow, but the horse gets a small shock.  The horse refuses to drink.  He dehydrates and colics.

My vet in WI saw this happen many times before the invention of GFCI's.  If the tank had a GFCI, it would have tripped and you would have replaced the heater.

The use of a GFCI does not eliminate the need for all of the other things needed to be done to keep electricity safe.  Just like insulation, ground wires, and circuit breakers, GFCI's do fail.  Usually they fail by tripping all the time.  They are just one, important, link in a chain that keeps us safe.

The National Electrical Code requires the installation of GFCI protection outside, bathrooms and other places where water and electricity mix.  Even if it is unlikely that anyone would have probable cause to inspect for code violations, it is a good idea to follow the code, and thus have a safer place.  I personally, would not like to have to explain to either grieving survivors, or a liability jury why I deliberately did not follow the electrical code.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875