[RC] First 25 mile ride - rides2far

OK, but all of this is about the horse. Any really experienced rider
would> have a good shot at getting that horse through a 50. What I'm
thinking about> is the person on the horse.

Well, I'm probably the only person around who can say I did a 25 AND a 50
as my first ride. :-)  I entered the 25 on my backup horse (I'd
overtrained like a beast and wore out my 50 mile horse before I ever got
to my first ride).  I did 25 miles and felt like it was nothing. Then was
walking around camp and ran into my friend who was upset that the woman
who was riding her horse had gotten hurt at the 25 mile mark (the trail
was a 50 mile loop) and her horse had to pull though it was doing great.
I got all excited and said, "Let me ride her the rest of the way"  So, we
did. She hauled me out there, we took up the stirrups as far as they'd go
and I took off.  (were were not concerned that we wouldn't get a
completion)

I can tell you that on that day, at that ride (this was in 1987) the 50
was the better place for me. The 25 milers had all been just like me,
clueless about pace and just the blind following the blind. Nobody's
horses drank, it was just a stampede. Once I got on the 50 mile loop I
was able to watch riders who had been doing this a long time and get my
horse to drink when theirs did, etc. It was a good place to get mentored.

By the way, I was as prepared as I could possibly be that day. I'd read
everything available, including every article Equus had ever written
about endurance riding, "The Best of Blazer", Linda & Wentworth
Tellington Jone's book, Kerry Ridgeway articles and the Farnum Endurance
video Darolyn had made and I had spent 6 months riding with some people
who'd done a few rides and had picked their brains. I had overtrained so
much that the only place I was sore was my abs. I probably held my breath
all day I was so excited. :-))

P.S. When I started my neice in endurance I had her do a 25 first. They
all took off fast and she got swept away. The next ride I had her do 50
with me and she couldn't understand why I had thrown her out to the lions
like that. I remembered that and started my daughter on the 2nd day of a
multi-day in the 50. Nice and sane. :-)

Angie