[RC] Pain and stiffness after a 50/it can be prevented somewhat! - heidi larson

I used to be horribly sore after a 50, having a good saddle that fits my back (lower back pain) has helped that the most I think.  (Free and Easy saddle.)  I also started weight training almost 2 years ago and I have to say it has done wonders for the after ride stiffness.  I'm never more sore than what the gym workout makes me!   (Lunges with a 30 lb. weight in each hand will make you not be able to sit on a toilet!!)  My horse and I did our first 100 this year and I wasn't so sore I couldn't trot my own horse out, in fact, the trotting out helped my legs/tendons/muscles.  I usually do take a couple Ibuprofen before the start or at the 1st vet check, but it's more for my ankle that I've twisted too many times in the past and about 40-50 miles in, it will start to bug me.  And, you can change your horse's gait occasionally, I'm more sore when we're just walking than when we're trotting and throwing in the occasional cantering!

heidi and Ash