Re: [RC] [RC] First 25 mile ride - Lynne Glazer - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

My legs felt a little stiff but not bad. That was until I drove
home.
After about 2 hours of driving I stopped at a rest area and
discovered that I had seized up! I felt like I had tied up! My
quads
and calves were so painful all of a sudden that I really couldn't
walk at that point! I hobbled to the rest room and by the time I
walked back to the truck I was a little more limber

Congratulations on your finish! That "seizing up" doesn't really go
away. You just learn to live with it. Don't know how many times I've
been proud of myself for not being all that sore the morning after
the ride, only to fall out of the truck when we stop for gas.

Walk as if you have wooden legs. Do not bend your knees, walk from
the hip. When you get to the curb, jack one hip really high and you
can get up and into the building. Make sure you get the handicapped
stall so you have the bar to help lower yourself down. :-)  I have a
great video of Josie when she was 10. She had just done her first 50
the day before and we had stopped for lunch on our drive home. She
was trying to get back into the truck without bending her legs. Our
truck has a step on the side and she was reaching down with her hands
and trying to lift her rigid leg up onto it, then grabbing the door
to pull herself on up. It was hilarious. People probably thought I
was a sick person filming that poor crippled child.

P.S. It is much easier to go down stairs backwards, and walk downhill
backwards. People will get used to you after a while. :-))

Angie