[RC] 25 miles or 50? - sherman

Chelsea,

My horse’s & my first ride was a 50. I’d done several 25-30 mile conditioning rides in the year prior to it though, and I had also volunteered at a ride so I knew what to do at the vet checks.  It is sometimes better for the horse that is conditioned for 50, to do a 50 as their first ride, just in case they turn into maniacs for the first 25 or 30 miles (which mine did) they then learn in the last 20-30 miles that there is more work to do. I just started my new horse on 50s also. It would have been a big mistake to stop at 25 or 30 miles on him. Our last 25 miles was a good ride, the first 25…well, his brain disengaged at mile 5 and didn’t show up again for quite a while.

Good luck and have fun!

Kathy