RE: [SPAM] [RC] First 25 mile ride - heidi

Chelsea, if you have been riding distances up to 25 miles in training, your horse is probably actually ready to do 50 miles at a ride.  And from what you say about your mare being a bit high, that would be a far better way for her to start out.

When you start a really fit horse on shorter distances, there is a tendency for them to think, "Gee, is that all this is?" and for their behavior to get worse.  But if you start directly on 50s, it is often easier to find a slower-paced buddy by just waiting a few minutes before going down to the start, and the distance will tend to get their attention a bit better.  They tend not to be too bad at their first rides, but you are more apt to find experienced horses on the 50s to be good "role models" and by her next ride, she will be thinking, "Gee, it is a long day out there when we come to these things, so I'd better not be silly."

I personally much prefer to start horses on 50s if they have any decent base at all, and it sounds like your mare does.

Heidi

Hi! I am new to ridecamp and while I have never done an
limited/endurance ride I've done 25 miles plenty of times just in a
trail ride. I am thinking about doing the Wickenburge ride in Arizona
this January. My question is this, my Arab tends to be pretty high
strung, and while I have ridden her with groups of horses a lot, is she
going to go beserk on me at an endurance ride? I hope this doesn't sound
dumb, and I know it's kind of hard to give an answer without knowing the
horse, however any tips would help. What can I do to make sure that I
won't lose control of her in a large group of horses in riders?

Thanks a lot for the help!
Chelsea
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=