Re: [RC] Paint horses in distance riding - Lysane Cree

I just started my mare this year in CTR - a registered Paint. Did a few training rides (12 miles) and 25s. She has some issues with vets, so her behaviour was what I have had to work on the most, but she has had no problems meeting criteria (heart rate below 40 means no points lost). Last ride I did, she was getting the hang of things and being calm at the checks, she dropped into the 30s. She is around 14.3 (maybe 15 now, haven't measured her in a long time!), doesn't have huge muscling, although it is easy to get her looking toned. :) I picked her cutting horse bloodlines because they tend to produce athletic horses that are a little less muscled than halter lines. They also tend to have a "go get 'em" attitude.
She likes to be out on the trail and is very forward. She was wound up to go at the last 25 CTR I did, and I kept hoping she would get a little bit tired and give my hands a break, but 17 miles into the ride she wasn't getting tired. lol
Now we have to work on conditioning for hills because we don't have a lot at home. But in time, I think I would try a 50. And endurance.
I'm still a little unsure about the differences between pacing in a CTR and pacing in an endurance ride and how much faster one has to go, but you can always count on me to say, yes, Paints can do it, just give it a try :)

Lysane