Re: [RC] Shortbed trucks - Joe Long

David LeBlanc wrote:
Joe Long said:

As I have no intention to ever pull one of those eight-feet-wide square-nosed camper trailers, I have no need to have a truck that accommodates them. Which is why I bought a shortbed, and am very happy with it. I can back my LQ gooseneck a full ninety degrees without interference.

Then it works perfectly for you - but for example, we also have a square-nosed stock trailer for ordinary use. It isn't as wide as the big one (probably 6.5-7 ft), but same thing applies. Really just something to think about at the time - do you want a rig limited to certain trailers, or do you want to be able to deal the dimensions of any trailer? I'd rather be flexible, YMMV.

Exactly. I don't pull any other trailers than my horse trailer, but we do use the truck for other things besides hauling the trailer, so I'd rather have one that we can maneuver in tighter quarters and park in normal parking spaces. The shortbed is already tight in most parking decks and many parking lots.

Knowing what I know now, if I were to get a smaller truck and trailer, I'd
go with a flatbed. When I had the Chevy, you had to back it up so far, then
close the tailgate, then finish backing up. Had a bad day once where I
forgot to open the tailgate pulling away...

I can back up and hitch with the tailgate down with no problem.

Plus, there's not sides (or you can make removable sides) to hit. Ridecamps
can be in some interesting places to get in.

There are real advantages to a flatbed for trailer hauling, but again in our case a flatbed would not serve us well when used without the trailer. Each person needs to evaluate their own needs. I just want to point out that you can pull most gooseneck horse trailers without special sliding hitches or hitch extensions, without risk of damaging the cab or rear window. It is important to verify that with the dimensions of your own trailer, of course.

-- Joe Long jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx