Re: [RC] sickle hocks - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Just my 2 cents worth, I wouldn't say, go out there and look for one with faults, but at the same time, I had a sickle hocked horse that went over 5000 miles in endurance and *never* took an off step in the hind end.  So, I guess what I am saying is this:  I wouldn't count him out because of it.

Jody

Karen Sullivan <greymare56@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello follks,
Would appreciate opinions. I am looking for a big, solid, safe trail horse for a friend. I found a nicely trained big boned Appy gelding, 16h with a great disposition. He is being sold a totally sound, and a balanced mover. I have only seen photos, and he does appear to move well, and is very reasonable priced. Side view shot shows him to be a little long backed, but big feet, nice big legs....he is noticeably sickle hocked in the rear.

Any ideas how this will impact future soundness or surefoot-edness?

I know quite a few ARabs are sickle-hocked; is this considered a serious fault?

Thanks, KAren