Re: [RC] to blanket or not - Sky Ranch

I've noticed that if my horses are shivering because of wind, and rain/sleet/snow conditions (that's the only time I've ever seen them shiver, btw) that as soon as I throw out some hay, and they start eating, they stop shivering.  Right away.

Don't know if it's "psychological" partly, or just physical.  But the minute they huddle around the hay and eat, they're A-OK.  I do know that if it's a cloudy, blustery, rainy and/or sleety day, they will eat more hay and I know it keeps them warm.

Back when we had pasture, they'd be out in the pasture eating even dead grass on a cold, windy day and be just fine.  Now we don't have so much readily available grass so they're dependent on the hay.  Sure makes a difference.

(I don't blanket any of our horses unless I'm at camp, or trailering in very cold weather.)

Carla Richardson
Colorado