RE: [RC] to blanket or not - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

    I'm going to try uncovered next
    time, and just stop & check him on the way home to see if he's
    shivering at all, and if he is I'll cover him up.

    Kathy

Kathy, you can also feed your guy some increased protein during the first
winter, that'll help keep him warmer until he adjusts to a different
climate.  It doesn't have to be straight alfalfa, but something approaching
50% alfalfa and 50% quality grass hay will raise core temperature by a
degree or two, which makes a lot more difference in maintaining a comfy body
temp than you'd think.  Introduce the extra alfalfa over a few weeks if he's
not already used to alfalfa.  Next spring when things warm up and you start
conditioning again, switch him back to straight grass and you'll lose the
extra furnace-stoking that is a potential burden in the summer, but really
handy in the winter.

FWIW, when we moved our So Cal clan to northern Colorado when I went to vet
school, everybody just had a good windbreak out in their paddock, 50/50
alfalfa/grass from October to April, and were brought into an unheated barn
during the very worst storms.  They got a winter blanket only once during
sub-zero temps, and only the first winter when their hair coats were less
than woolley.  The second winter, they all grew winter coats like polar
bears and didn't need additional protection, and all did just fine.

JME.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM