[RC] Was Blankets now Acclimating Horses - Drin Becker

I have been wondering what I need to do for my new horse. He moved from
southern Utah up the SE Idaho where we are at least 10-15 degrees
colder. I have been putting a blanket on this horse at night and taking
it off during the day. He has shelter in his run, (we do get a lot of
wind.) How much longer will I need to blanket?  He has been with us
about almost 2 weeks.  His coat is much shorter than our others,  Any
recommendations??
Thanks Laura

Hi Laura ,
I went through this same scenario this fall , I live in far SW Montana which is one of the coldest places in the state (although the prettiest:-) and at an altitude of 6,900 ft. , this year I bought a horse from Oklahoma the last week in August just when our weather starts to get colder . He was fine during the day but was coming from high humidity to dry cold weather into the 30's at night so I started blanketing him every evening and then would take it off in the mornings . Later on in the fall/early winter some days I would leave the blanket on 24/7 depending on the temps as this horse would be shivering so bad his legs were shaking and this was even with a nice lean-to and all the good pasture and hay plus beet pulp /grain that he would eat . I thought for sure that I would be doing the blanket thing all winter long but Eagle grew an amazingly dense winter coat and now doesn't need the blanket anymore , this morning our temps were 6 degrees out and it had snowed during the night and he was fine as could be . When we used to outfit and were buying new horses we always figured it took them at least one winter to really acclimate to our weather here .
Drin Becker
Mtn Region