RE: [RC] to blanket or not - Flora Hillman

???  I have never in my life seen "sickness, colds, or illnesses" related to
wet thick coats.  My own horses (nearly 50 of 'em) are out 24/7 in all
weather, and do sometimes get wet from the weather--and in over 30 years,
I've never had any sickness related to soaked horses.  Nor have I ever in 2
decades of veterinary practice seen a horse sick from sweating and getting
its winter coat wet.  Nor have I ever heard any other vets mention illness
from same. ....Are all five of yours ridden and/or driven daily?  That's the
only scenario in which I can even imagine clipping and blanketing being
"labor-saving," and even then, it's about a toss-up. .... ???

I do ride or drive or foxhunt mine on a consistent basis every week.  Mine
are not pasture potatoes by any stretch .

I've found over the past 30 years that clipped horses and ponies stay
comfortably warm  when rugged up, are more comfortable when worked, can be
bathed quicker and more efficiently, stay MUCH cleaner, and dry in a flash
compared to being unclipped.  Clipping is a HUGE saving on labor -- I can
spend an hour trying to clean a dirty unclipped  horse, and never get it
completely clean enough because the dirt filters down into the coat and just
doesn't come out. A clipped horse can be finished with a few swipes of the
brush. It makes a very big difference when one has more than one to do a
day.  I can also vary their blankets, based upon the weather, to give them a
consistent level of warmth -- something that can't be done with a natural
winter coat.

I also like "fussing" with them.  It's relaxing to me, they like the
attention, and I get a few minutes of quality time with each one.  Wearing
rugs teaches them to stand quietly while I take blankets off/put them on,
walk around and check leg straps and correct any twisting of the blankets.
It often only takes a second or two, but I find they become very quiet, very
relaxed with the regular attention. As I said, clipping and rugging is a
wonderful education, especially for the youngsters.

Regarding sickness -- I've seen it first hand resulting from horses left out
in the wind and cold rain without shelter. A friend of mine had her horse at
a big stable on pasture board. A very nasty freezing nor'easter blew
through, and she got worried and brought her horse in, hoping to find an
empty stall. Poor creature was shivering and shaking, teeth practically
rattling, to beat the band, his winter fur was soaked to the skin. She
begged for a stall, but the answer was No.  I stood with her and the horse
in the indoor arena waiting for the storm to abate.  She then turned the
horse out when the storm was over, figuring it would be OK.  It wasn't -- it
got sick 3-4 days later.  She said several of the other horses were sick too
-- runny eyes and noses, lethargic looking, etc.  Vet was out to attend
hers, and others.  He told her to put a waterproof rug on it and keep it on
throughout the winter.  She did, and had no more problems after that. I've
also seen horses in heavy winter fur get the chills from being sweaty after
a hard workout when it was cold.  For that same reason no self respecting
hunt horse would be ridden with a natural winter coat -- they are all
clipped and rugged.

There was a court case many years back regarding a jumper horse that had
been left out in the elements and got sick and died -- it was a jumper that
had been abandoned when the owner just stopped paying board. Horse was
turned out in a field with shelter, had a natural coat but had always been
stalled. Don't remember all the details, but ...a few months later it turned
cold and rainy and snowy and the horse got sick from the rain/wind/cold. The
stable personnel realized the horse was having problems and attempted damage
control by rugging it up but the animal was too sick and subsequently died.
Owner suddenly reappears and takes stable manager and owners to court.
Claimed huge damages for death of horse.   I think the stable owners and
manager won, but it was interesting, and made me realize not all horses are
suited to being left out 24/7.  Believe I read it in Practical Horseman.