Re: [RC] FEI Championships - Truman Prevatt

Tracey,

If we "Yanks" had won a metal of any kind since 1998 - you wouldn't hear the gnashing of teeth to "change the format."

Bottom line some smart people have figured out how to run 100 mile races faster than we can. They have set the bar to a point that we can't even finish enough riders to qualify a team if we want to be in the metals. They are not doing any thing wrong - they seem to be doing a lot right. After all the WEC is an event to crown the fastest 100 mile horse in the world. It's a race- there will be a lot of pulls. If a rider is there to win and he won't why push the horse - why not just pull.

Some of this I suspect is sour grapes on our part. We are just not getting it done - other countries are. It pretty much comes down to that one simple fact.

As long as they supply a safe venue for the horses and the riders realize they are racing on the edge and be willing to pull at any signs of problems, the vets are vetting based on the fact they are riding on the edge and adequate treatment is offered, I have little problems with the way it is run.

A lot of AERC members don't see endurance riding as a flat out race. But that's an entirely different subject. The WEC is what it is - we "Yanks" are not doing well other countries are. If other countries are doing well - doesn't sound to me like a format problem.

Truman

Tracey Lomax wrote:

*/ /*

*/[Reply] You’re quite right about that. I guess I just see it differently because I live in a third world country and I know how hard it is, and how much is sacrificed, to get even ONE rider to the games. And I know how much it would mean to us as a country, and to our sport, if that rider came home with a medal./*

*/ /*

*/Maybe you Yanks are just so spoiled for medals that it no longer matters /**/J/**//*

*/ /*

*/ /*

*/Tracey/*

--

"Life is about obstacles. Endeavors in life are not to be overlooked. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens. Not by what life brings us, but the attitude we bring to life." Wade Boggs, on his induction to the baseball hall of fame.